Below there is a diagram of all the parts which make up your braces. This will help you identify what the problem / breakage is. If something breaks off or digs in, try to make it comfortable using the wax we provided to you, and use warm salt water rinses often for any ulcers or scratches (1 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup of warm water).
Remove anything loose from your mouth and bring the broken brace / bracket in to your appointment. Contact the surgery for an appointment as soon as you can so that we can fix the problem – a longer appointment (during school hours) is usually required.
- BAND – metal ring sometimes fixed to back molar teeth.
- BRACKET (brace) – the brace bonded to the tooth.
- HOOK – sometimes attached to wire or brace, to hook elastics to.
- ARCHWIRE – the wire which fits into the braces, used to straighten the teeth.
- ELASTICS (rubber bands) – worn usually ALL the time, from top to bottom braces (to correct the bite) – changed daily by patient.
- CHAIN ALASTIC – clear elastic running from hook on wire to hook on molar brace, or tooth to tooth, to close spaces. Changed by orthodontist.
- DOOR, CLIP or SLIDE – on Damon self-ligating brackets, closed to hold archwire in place.
- ELASTIC “DONUT” – small rubber band around bracket, sometimes coloured, occasionally used to hold archwire in place.